- The story opens with Amir talking to Rahim Khan, who is in Pakistan. The story then shifts to Amir and Hassan playing as children in Afghanistan. The opening talked about the close bond between Amir and Hassan when they were young.
- Amir narrates the birth of Hassan, and how his mother, Sanaubar, abandoned him soon after. He also shares information about his mother, who died giving birth to him.
- Amir tells of a time when Baba dismissed teachings by the Mullahs. The event had an impact on Amir’s religious beliefs.
- Amir describes the onset of armed conflict in Afghanistan. The story mentioned the communist coup d’état followed by Russian occupation.
- The narrator introduces Assef, the neighborhood bully. Amir and Hassan meet him and his friends. Assef threatens to assault Amir, but Hassan steps in.
- During the community kite flying contest, Hassan is waylaid by Assef and his friends as he is running for a kite. Assef rapes Hassan as Amir, who watches from a distance, does nothing to help.
- Because seeing Hassan makes Amir feel guilty, Amir frames Hassan for theft. Hassan and Ali decide to leave Baba’s home despite his attempts to stop them.
- The conflict in Afghanistan worsens. Amir and Baba are forced to leave the country for their own safety. They arrive in Pakistan and eventually make it to the United States.
- Amir learns through Rahim Khan that Hassan was his brother. He also learns Hassan and his wife are dead, but they left behind a young son named Sohrab.
- Amir is convinced to leave America and save Sohrab, who is suffering in Afghanistan. Despite numerous challenges, Amir is able to rescue Sohrab and brings the boy with him to America.
In the book The Kite Runner ten main events are as follows:
- Amir, Baba, Hassan, and Ali lived in Kabul.
- Amir and Hassan hung out together but could not be true friends because Hassan was a Hazara.
- Assef threatened Amir and Hassan took up for him.
- Amir wins the kite contest.
- Hassan is raped by Assef and Amir witnesses it but does not help.
- Amir frames Hassan so he looks like a thief.
- Hassan and Ali leave the area.
- Amir and his father escape the country and move to America.
- Amir graduates college and marries.
- Learning Hassan is dead, Amir returns to Afghanistan and rescues Hassan's son.