2 Answers | Add Yours
In addition to the examples given in the previous post, the children also discover the following:
- Scout is surprised to learn that Jem does not have a tapeworm; he is only growing.
- Scout is disappointed that Dill will not be coming to Maycomb this summer.
- "We were surprised one morning to see a cartoon in the Montgomery Advertiser above the caption, "Maycomb's Finch."
- Scout is surprised at how roughly Calpurnia bathes her the night before they attend First Purchase Church.
- The children are stunned that there are no hymnals in the church.
- "To our amazement," Reverend Sykes counts the collection taken and demands more money from the congregation.
- Scout's "curiosity burst" when she discovers that the money is to be given to the family of Tom Robinson.
- Scout learns that Tom is being charged with rape--a word she does not understand.
- They are surprised that Cal is older than Atticus.
- Jem is surprised to learn that Cal grew up near Finch's Landing.
I'm not sure what is meant by "Suggest some possible reasons for his failure", but here are some of the surprises:
1) They're invited to Cal's church.
2) They learn what "linin'" is.
3) They learn that Cal talks a different way to the church members so that they won't think she's uppity.
4) They learn other personal details about Cal's background.
5) They learn that Aunt Alexandra will be living with them.
We’ve answered 318,915 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question