1. Amanda is always telling the story about how she entertained 17 gentleman callers one afternoon when she was a girl in Blue Mountain.
2. During Jim's visit, Amanda puts on a dress that she wore to the cotillion in Blue Mountain when she was a girl.
3. Amanda tells Jim that she "had so many servants" when she was a girl.
4. Amanda expects Laura to find "gentlemen callers" when it is clear she is emotionally incapable of doing that.
5. Just before Jim's visit, Amanda tells Laura all about the summer she moved to Blue Mountain, gathered jonquils, and met her husband