What are some similarities and differences between "5th Business" and "Catcher in the Rye"?
Fifth Business and Catcher in the Rye are similar in that:
1. Both books are about an individual making his way through a chaotic universe.
2. Both books feature an individual who sees himself as heroic, or performs heroic acts that make a difference in both his life or another's.
3. In both books the hero plays (or wants to play) another role. Dunstan Ramsay plays Fifth Business and Holden Caulfield plays "the Catcher in the Rye."
4. Both books are about journeys made in life.
Fifth Business and Catcher are different because:
1. The time periods are drastically different.
2. Having fought in a war, Dunstan really is a hero, but Holden wants to be a hero (to his brother at least).
3. Dunstan is a teacher and a great success in life. Holden is a student throughout the novel, then a dropout, and is influenced by his History teacher.
4. Dunstan can be seen as a success in life. Holden Caulfield can be seen as struggling with life.
5. Fifth Business is about a whole life; Catcher is about a boy's adolescence.
You'll need to extrapolate these ideas for an essay, but at least it's a start for you. :)