What are some similarities between Oliver Twist and Mansfield Park? I need a good essay title.I'm in my third year of university and would like to use those 2 books for an essay, but I am...
What are some similarities between Oliver Twist and Mansfield Park? I need a good essay title.
I'm in my third year of university and would like to use those 2 books for an essay, but I am struggling to come up with an appropriate title and ideas of what to discuss.
The similarities between Oliver and Fanny are of circumstance and inner virtue. They both a lost waifs of sorts. They both are taken in by wealthy families and saved from lives of degradation, though of different sorts. They both have nemeses without conscience who attempt to overpower them in various ways. They both find the truth about love in their new families. They both in their own ways mend the families they have been taken into because of their virtue and purity of heart.
A good title might be: Similar Results of Virtue in Oliver Twist and Mansfield Park.
More general similarities between the two books are:
1. Impoverished children are farmed out to the care of other people.
2. There are mean minded individuals who see these children as servants and work-horses who have to earn their sustenance.
3. There are other individuals who are generously minded and extend love and humanity.
4. These children retain their natural virtue and purity of soul despite deprivation.
5. There are other children do not fare so well and become as mean as their surroundings, whether the mean surroundings are physical, like the workhouse, or psychological, like Mansfield Manor.
Title suggestion: Meaness and Virtue in Oliver Twist and Mansfield Park