1 Answer | Add Yours
You don't mention about whether you are seeking information about the modern State of Israel or if you are interested in facts about the ancient civilization. The modern republic was formed following World War II when the British area (controlled by the United Nations) known as Palestine declared itself as the independent State of Israel in 1948. The surrounding Arab nations declared war on Israel the next day, and the fighting lasted for about a year until an armistice was signed. Israel successfully halted the combined armies made up of troops from Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Yemen. Other important events in the history of the State of Israel include:
- 1949: Israel is admitted to the United Nations
- 1967: Six Day Arab-Israeli War. Israel emerges victorious while annexing all of Jerusalem.
- 1973: Yom Kippur War.
- 1978: Arab-Israeli peace treaty signed at Camp David.
- 1989: Mass immigration of Russian Jews from the former Soviet Union
- 1994. Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin assassinated.
- 2000. Arafat-led terrorism against Israel intensifies.
- 2005. Israel evacuates citizens from the Gaza Strip.
For a concise timeline including events from Biblical times, check out the link below:
We’ve answered 319,199 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question