What are some important factors that help make a relationship positive?
Different cultures have different standards for what constitutes a good or positive relationship. While this answer focuses on modern, western societies, one should be aware that the answers to this question do vary with region and culture.
Some of the elements that contribute to positive relationships are:
- People in a relationship should generally like, respect and value one another.
- Good communication is essential to a good relationship. People should be comfortable confiding in their partners and not keep important secrets.
- Both partners should be deeply committed to a relationship and willing to put effort into it, even when they are going through a rough patch.
- A good relationship means no elements of physical, mental, or emotional abuse.
- Partners should agree on important goals such as whether they want children, where they wish to live, and what sort of lifestyle they want.
- Partners should share essential values. Even if they disagree about minor issues, major value differences over gender roles, money, or religion can be negative factors.
- Partners should share enough interests so they can enjoy being together, doing things together, and talking with each other.