As an English teacher of high school seniors, I have been surprised regarding some of the more contemporary and novel questions which colleges and universities have begun to ask students to answer as part of their college admissions process. Curious about some of the more surprising essay questions, I opted to do some research on some of the nontraditional questions being asked of applying students. Here are some of the more surprising questions (reworded).
- Prove that a toad possesses the ability to hear.
- In a narrative, relate the following five events: a UFO sighting, a cosplay event, a novel from the Romantic period, your idea of a utopia, and Elvis.
- Propose your own original theory to explain one of the following mysteries: love, cottage cheese, the "skin" on water, crop circles, Stonehenge, echos, Red Bull, eating contests, or Pangaea.
- Why does everyone hate Mondays?
- If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around, does it make a sound?