Well, interestingly enough, I found some of the benefits of the colony written around the time of the colony's founding. These would be the opinions of some of the early settlers. Of course, you have to take them with a grain of salt: you never know what the motives were of the person who wrote them. Anyhow, here are some of the things listed as being wonderful about the Jamestown Colony.
- The country itself is large and great
- Air and climate most sweet and wholesome, much warmer then England,
- There are valleys and plains streaming with sweet Springs,
- the land is full of minerals, plenty of woods (the wants of England)
- it yieldeth also Rosin, Turpentine, Pitch and Tar, Sassafras, Mulberry-trees and Silkworms, many skins and rich furs
- Plenty of Sturgeon, Timber for Shipping
- We doubt not but to make there in few years store of good wines, as any from the Canaries, by replanting and making tame the Vines that naturally grow there in great abundance
- There grows hempe for Cordage, an excellent commoditie, and flax for linen cloth
So, in short, the temperature is warmer than in England, the soil is good for growing (especially, they will find, cotton and tobacco,) there are lots of trees for logging and hills for mining.
To some people, the colony at Jamestown and later Virginia seemed like a poor place to establish a colony. There were many bugs and a lot of disease. The water also wasn’t very good. However, there were some advantages to establishing a colony here.
One advantage was its location. It was in a good spot to set up ports because there were a lot of bays. Jamestown also was a place that could be easily defended since it was on a peninsula. It also wasn’t occupied when the ships landed there.
The region was very good for farming. The climate was mild, and the soil was fertile. This allowed the people to grow tobacco, which became a cash crop. The western part of Virginia had plenty of wooded areas. This allowed for lumbering to occur there. This lumber could be used to build ships, which would help with trading.
There were advantages to establishing a colony in Virginia.