What are some good questions to ask about European soccer?
rrteacher | Certified Educator
This is a huge topic. I will list a few questions below, with answers:
- What is the name of European football's governing body? UEFA- Union of European Football Associations.
- What are the biggest and wealthiest leagues in Europe? English Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A, German Bundesliga.
- What is the biggest club competition involving teams from European leagues? UEFA Champions League, a season-long tournament involving clubs that finish at or near the top of their respective leagues, played concurrently with domestic league schedules.
- Who won the Champions League for the 2011-2012 season? Chelsea, defeated Bayern Munich on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the Champions League final.
- What other continental club competition exists? Europa League, for teams that finish just below Champions League qualifiers, or who finish third in their respective groups in the group phase of the Champions League.
- What are historically the most successful clubs in European club competitions? Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool.
- What is the continental championship for European national teams? The European Championship, won by Spain with a 4-0 victory over Italy in the final this summer.
- What European nations have been the most successful in international competitions? Italy, Germany/West Germany, and most recently Spain.
- Who are some noteworthy European players, and what clubs do they play for? Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal, Real Madrid; Andres Iniesta, Spain, Barcelona; Xavi, Spain, Barcelona; Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sweden, Paris-Saint Germain; David Silva, Spain, Manchester City; Vincent Kompany, Belgium, Manchester City; Wayne Rooney, England, Manchester United; Gareth Bale, Wales, Tottenham Hotspur; Arjen Robben, Netherlands, Bayern Munich; Andrea Pirlo, Italy, Juventus. There are, of course, many others, and this list does not include non-Europeans who play in Europe.
- Which player won the Balon D'Or, given to the best player in Europe, last season? Lionel Messi, Argentina, Barcelona.