There are many examples of allusions found in the short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." Here are a few examples:
- References to the American Revolutionary War, including the battle of White Plains.
- Cotton Mather's History of New England Witchcraft figures prominently.
- The Dutch old country is mentioned; an example is the town of Saardam.
- Irving refers to the Russian "Don Cossacks."
- There is a reference to "the cap of Mercury."
- There is a comparison to the "knight-errant" of medieval times.
- The patron of dance, St. Vitus, is referenced.
- The British spy, Major Andre, who was hanged in the area, is mentioned several times.