What are the six parts to modern cell theory?
I wish scientists would agree on how many parts exist to modern cell theory. Depending on the textbook or teacher, there are two general summaries of modern cell theory. A 3 part model and a 6 part model. You asked for the 6 part model.
- All living things are made of cells
- The cell is the simplest complete structural and functional unit of all living things
- All cells come from pre-existing cells (that means cells do not spontaneously generate themselves)
- Cells contain hereditary information (DNA), which is passed down from cell to cell during cellular reproduction (depending on the cell and cell type that could be binary fission or mitosis)
- All energy flow of life occurs within cells
- All cells are more or less made of the same chemical composition
check Approved by eNotes Editorial