As you know, 1984 is a dystopian novel which satirizes the totalitarian governments of the extreme left (U.S.S.R.) and extreme right (Nazism). The political spectrum is not linear, but circular: in other words, both political systems are so extreme that they come full circle and converge into one. So, it's difficult to distinguish between the too after a point. But, here's a big-picture look at all three dystopias.
All three societies:
- Use torture as a means of quelling political dissidents
- Use censorship and propaganda in the media to disinform not only their own citizens, but also their potential enemies inside and outside the country.
- Wage war in order to keep their citizens hungry, tired, poor, uneducated, disinformed, and nationalistic.
- Use the secret police to infiltrate political dissidents and organziations that are subversive to the state.
- Urge ethnic cleansing and the hatred of others who are racially or politically different from the state
- Use surveillance and profiling to create a technologically superior police state
- Promote a kind of sexual abstinence and subversion of family values in order to keep the citizens "married" to the state
- Use icons (Big Brother, the swastika, the cycle and scythe) to promote identity, stability, and community and--also--fear.
- Create a division of labor between men and women; men focus on military and physical labor matters of the state, while women focus on morality support and temperance
- Use women and monogamy as "bait" in order to expose and catch potential political dissidents