1 Answer | Add Yours
The seven sayings of Jesus are in reference to the the seven sayings of Jesus on the cross. The Christian church usually focuses on these words during the season of Lent. In particular, the church focuses on these words during Good Friday. Some Christian groups even have a mini-processional and in the the end, they finish off with the seven sayings of Christ on the cross.
The words of the seven sayings are found in the New Testament. The four gospels contain them. Here they are:
- Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34)
- Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43
- Woman, behold your son: behold your mother. (John 19:26-27
- My God, My God, why have you forsaken me. (Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34
- I am thirsty. (John 19:28)
- It is finished. (John 19:30)
- Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. (Luke 23:46)
Of course, as you focus on these words, you will be able to interpret them and offer many insights, especially as these words are examined within the historical, cultural, and literary context. In conclusion, the seven sayings of Christ are important for the Christian church.
We’ve answered 319,180 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question