In an attempt to maintain peace and tranquility, the society portrayed in The Giver acknowledges that there is a necessity for pain and suffering, but all of this is placed in the memory of one chosen member of the community so all the others can live in optimum conditions. The rules of the society are constructed to ensure that everyone remains content.
- People must be careful with words, selecting innocuous ones that will not offend or hurt anyone's feelings.
- People must accept the spouse that is chosen for them.
- People must accept the positions/roles in life that are given to them.
- Each age group must wear their hair a certain way.
- Each age group has a birthday that is recognized at the same time.
- Each age group must do activities that are selected for their group.
- Each person is assigned a role in the Community.
- The authority of the Elders must not be questioned.
- The individuals will be released when they age and become incapacitated or become infected.