Correctly identify the scansion of the following lines.1.dancing bears and buttered popcorn; huge balloons of red and purple;2. In the dark of the night with the wind in that tree, I am sure...
Correctly identify the scansion of the following lines.
1.dancing bears and buttered popcorn; huge balloons of red and purple;
2. In the dark of the night with the wind in that tree, I am sure there's a ghost and I run aimlessly.
3. "Who's that>" screamed Dad. "Hang up!" He's mad!
4. Sandwiches made with salami and cheese Served on a blanket; but, wait hear the bees?
5. He bought a brand new car in town. It's fast and red; the top goes down!
To work these out, first highlight the stresses:
DANcing BEARS and BUTTered POPcorn; HUGE ballOONS of RED and PURple
Then spell out what rhythm you've got, and what pattern is being followed
DUM de / DUM de / DUM de / DUM de (x2)
DUM de = trochee. There's four per line (rhyme is a good clue as to where the line ends, usually). So what you've got here is trochaic tetrameter.
To the rest:
2. In the DARK of the NIGHT with the WIND in that TREE, I am SURE there's a GHOST and I RUN aimlessLY.
de de DUM / de de DUM / de de DUM / de de DUM (x2)
de de DUM = anapaest
3. "Who's THAT?" screamed DAD. "Hang UP!" He's MAD!
de DUM / de DUM (x2)
de DUM = iamb
4. SANDwiches MADE with saLAmi and CHEESE. SERVED on a BLANKet; but, WAIT hear the BEES?
DUM de de / DUM de de / DUM de de / DUM ...(x2)
DUM de de = dactyl
dactylic tetrameter (final foot has ghost beats)
5. He BOUGHT a BRAND new CAR in TOWN. It's FAST and RED; the TOP goes DOWN!
de DUM / de DUM / de DUM / de DUM (x2)
de DUM = iamb