What are the quotes and page numbers that locate important places in Maycomb County in To Kill a Mockingbird?
I'm reading the 50th anniversary edition and I need to make a map of Maycomb County for my English project. Any advice will be helpful.
2 Answers | Add Yours
THE MAYCOMB TOWN SQUARE. Walking north from the Finch house, you would pass Rachel Haverford's house and then Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose's house. According to Scout, "there were eight more houses to the post office corner" on the south side of the square (Cecil Jacobs' house was the last house nearest the post office). "A large square of stores surrounded the courtyard square," and there was a public toilet near the post office. Rounding the corner, you would see the Maycomb Bank building, where Atticus had his office. Further up the street was Tyndal's Hardware Store; next to it was the Maycomb jail; and on the northwest corner sat the The Maycomb Tribune office. The Maycomb County Courthouse sits in the middle of the town square.
Other businesses were the O. K. Cafe, on the north side of the square; V. J. Elmore's, where Jem bought Scout the baton which he used to destroy Mrs. Dubose's camellias; the Jitney Jungle, which Miss Stephanie Crawford frequented; and the Mayco Drug Store, which sold fountain drinks.
Other Finch neighbors included Miss Maudie Atkinson, who lived across the street; Miss Stephanie, who lived next door to Miss Maudie; Scout's teacher, Miss Caroline, who boarded with Miss Maudie; and Mr. Dick Avery, who boarded across the street from Mrs. Dubose's house.
MAYCOMB COUNTY'S PLACES OF INTEREST.
- Finch's Landing, 20 miles west of Maycomb.
- Maycomb Junction, the train station 14 miles outside Maycomb.
- Old Sarum, a rural area in the northern part of the county, mostly inhabited by Cunninghams and Coninghams.
- The Dew-Drop Inn & Fishing Camp, the area's "riverside gambling hell" where you could buy "stumphole whiskey."
- The River (presumably the Alabama River) near the county line.
- Barker's Eddy, a favorite swimming hole "at the end of a dirt road off the Meridian highway about a mile from town."
- The Radley Place, three doors to the south of the Finch house.
- Maycomb County High School, around the corner from the Radley house, and "just past the grammar school building."
- The Quarters, where the Negroes lived not far from the dump "outside the southern town limits."
- First Purchase AME Church, in the Quarters.
- The Ewell house, behind the town garbage dump.
This question has already been asked and answered many times right here on eNotes. Here is a comprehensive link for you: http://www.enotes.com/to-kill-a-mockingbird/q-and-a/tags/map
We’ve answered 319,188 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question