What are the pros and cons of the current Alcan technology infrastructure?
What are the pros and cons of the new Alcan technology infrastructure proposed by Robert Ouelette?
Please suggest additional improvements of infrastructure for this case and justify your suggestions.
The pros of the new IT infrastructure proposed by vice president and chief information officer Robert Ouellette are the followings:
- the new IT management system allows the storage of a large amount of information in electronic databases;
- the existence of electronic databases enables a faster and efficient communication between business associates from different countries, all over the world;
- the introduction of VoIP makes the services to run quicker;
- the new IT management system allows the reduction of operation times of different tasks, providing better results and increasing the profit;
- the new IT management system allows the budget control and identification, through dedicated procedures, of performance areas
- the new IT management system allows the reduction of costs with personnel
The cons of the new IT infrastructure proposed by vice president and chief information officer Robert Ouellette are the followings:
- the introduction of the proposed new IT management system leads to job cuts and increased unemployment rates;
- the introduction of the proposed new IT management system leads to changes in organization's structure;
- the IT management systems do not have self-independence since they cannot operate itself;
- the IT management systems breakdowns could require long maintenance times;
- the software in IT management systems can generate altered responses.
Hence, as a conclusion, since the pros of introduction of the proposed new IT management system weigh more than cons, the decision regarding the change, proposed by Robert Ouellette, in 2006, was a a success.
The introduction of IT management system in Alcan corporation, sustained by Robert Ouellette, has brought the following advantages, such as operational times decreasing and profit increasing, electronic inventory management, rapid services, formal managerial processes, faster and better communication, storage of large amounts of information in electronic databases.
The IT management system not only has brought advantages, but disadvantages, too, such as huge investments needed to acquire and implement the system in all the countries where Alcan corporation has its branches, high maintenance costs, big and significant changes in organization's structure, occurrence of software errors that lead to wrong information.
As a conclusion, with respect to this case, Alcan corporation IT management system has brought more advantages, than disadvantages, hence, it's utilization has made possible a better planning which increased the efficiency and the business productivity.