There are a number of things that can be seen as obstacles to India's economic growth. Among them are:
- Lack of education among many rural people.
- Lack of good infrastructure in rural areas.
- Excessive bureaucratic rules that make it harder to do business. This is what was once known as the "licence raj."
- Opposition from some political leaders to economic development. An example of this was the aborted effort by Tata to build a factory in West Bengal. Another was the blocking of the proposal to allow foreign investment in retail stores in India.
- Ethnic and religious tensions. These were seen recently in the recent violence in Assam that caused rioting in other parts of the country.
All of these are obstacles to economic growth in India.