What are the most important events (background can be included too) and place names that take place in the book Brave New World?
sciftw | Certified Educator
There are a lot of important events that happen in Brave New World. I'll try and pick 15 or so that I feel are the most important in terms of plot and background. I will keep my list in chronological order and bold some of the key locations.
- The Nine Years' War happens, and it destroys many people and the world economy.
- The era of Our Ford begins.
- The book begins with students having a guided tour of a London "hatchery" and "conditioning center." These are the locations where new members of society are cloned/created and then conditioned into 5 separate castes. The people are conditioned through a combination of genetic engineering, brainwashing, and operant conditioning.
- Bernard and Lenina visit the Savage Reservation. This is an area of the world that hasn't adopted the new world order.
- While at the Savage Reservation, Bernard and Lenina meet John. Bernard figures out that John's mother is the lost lover of the Director.
- John and Linda return with Bernard and Lenina to the "brave new world."
- Bernard avoids exile by causing the Director to resign.
- John becomes incredibly famous, and Bernard does too because of his association with John.
- Bernard's social status is ruined because John refuses to meet guests at one of Bernard's social gatherings.
- Linda is dying in the hospital, and John goes to visit her. She dies while he is there. The cause of death was a soma overdose.
- John is distraught over Linda's death and begins destroying the soma that a group of Deltas are waiting to get. This starts a riot.
- Bernard and Helmholtz rescue John from the rioting crowd; however, all three men are arrested and brought to Mustapha Mond’s office.
- Bernard and Helmholtz are both exiled to an island. Bernard is not happy about it, but Helmholtz is excited. John is not allowed to go into exile.
- John tries to escape as much of civilization as possible by living in a lighthouse in Surrey. “Anywhere. I don’t care. So long as I can be alone.”
- John commits suicide.
mwestwood | Certified Educator
- Places: Central Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, the Fertilizing Room, Savage Reservation in New Mexico, Malapais, the Fordson Community Singery (Solidarity Service day), the Propaganda House, the Crematorium, Lake District of England/ English Channel, Electrical Equipment Corporation, Park Lane Hospital for the Dying, the Nine Years' War, the Crematorium
- Elements: Ford Years, soma, mottos such as "Community, Identity, Stability" and "Everyone belongs to everyone else," Bokanovsky Process, hypnopaedia, freemartin, Pregnancy Substitute, Obstacle Golf, Solidarity Groups
- Most important events: The touring of the Hatchery, Bernard and Lenina's date, the Solidarity Service, the trip to the Reservation, John's story, the return to London, , Bernard's boastful display of the Savage, Bernard's introduction of the Savage to the World Controller, Bernard's humiliation, John the Savage's encounters with Lenina and their date at the feelies, Linda's dying in the hospital, the Deputy Sub-Bursar and the distribution of soma, the riot police and soma spray. Mustapha Mond's interview with Bernard, Helmholtz, and the Savage, the exiling of Bernard and Helmholtz, the exile of the Savage and his suicide.