What medium would you use to send:
- A message to technical support about an employee's computer that has been infected by a virus.
- A message from HR to all employees, explaining the changes to the company health plan.
- A message from the CEO of a large company to employees, explaining negative news regarding the company appearing on national news channels.
- A message from a gym manager to clients about temporarily closing the pool in the gym.
- A message from a professional association to members about the coming annual conference.
The most effective ways to communicate are as follows:
1. Firstly, one should call up technical support and inform them about the problem at hand. If a definitive time frame is given by the technical department, one should write it and the time of the call down.
After the time deadline, if no one from the technical department has attended to the problem, an email needs to be sent. The email should mention the name of the employee, the department he or she works in, and the problem at hand. It should also mention the phone call, giving the exact time of the call and the the timeframe offered by the technical department.
2. Email is the best way to communicate the changes in the health plan of the company. Salient features should be mentioned in the email and the details should be given as a downloadable attachment (pdf) for the employees to go through at leisure.
3. An email should be sent to all employees to their official emails. Also for a big organization or in companies working in shifts or in different time zones, an SMS should be sent to all employees to read the important email from the CEO. In this way, off-duty employees can also be reached quickly.
4. If the closing of the pool is part of regular maintenance then a notice on the Gym's notice board should be posted. The notice should clearly mention the date and time of closing and the date and time of opening. Mentioning the day is very important for the gym. This is because for some people "Tuesday is gym day" and the notice will catch their attention if the week day is mentioned. The notice should be put up sufficiently in advance so that the most irregular customers are also informed.
A day before the actual closure, a notice on the pool door should be posted. Gym staff should also mention the closure while talking to clients.
5. Both an email and a physical brochure need to be sent. The email should summarize the details of the annual conference and the rest should be a downloadable attachment.
Many members of a professional association may be senior citizens. These people prefer the paper form of communication. They may not be comfortable with technology even though they use it.