What major event(s) happened in the beginning, the middle, and the end?P What very important events happened throughout the story? What is a summary for Bud, Not Buddy?
In the beginning of Christopher Paul Curtis' boy, Bud, Not Buddy, there are several events that stand out in the story.
At the beginning, we meet Bud who is in an orphanage. His mother is dead and all he cares about is finding a way to get out of the home and travel to find his father, a musician (he believes) who is highlighted on a flyer advertising a band that is playing a "gig" somewhere in Michigan.
By the middle of the book, Bud has escaped from an abusive foster family. He has started out on foot to Grand Rapids where he believes his father lives. He is lucky enough to be picked up by Lefty who takes care of him overnight at his daughter's home; he next day, Lefty drives Bud where he wants to go.
By the end of the story, Bud has caught up with Herman E. Calloway and his band, located in Grand Rapids. However, Bud's expectations are not met as he had anticipated, and Herman's surprise is mirrored in Bud's reaction—as each learns about the other, and both have to come to terms with a word that changes drastically with the presence of each in the other's life. Bud learns that things are not always what they appear to be; Herman learns that life is still full of surprises, not matter how old you get. Both learn about the importance of family, regardless of how it presents itself.
Beginning: Bud flees the Amos household by escaping their hornet-infested shed and running to the local library. Bud then meets up with his friend named Bugs and the two boys spend a memorable night at a Hooverville, where Bud gets his first kiss from a girl named Deza Malone.
Middle: While Bud is attempting to walk to Grand Rapids, a man named Lefty Lewis picks him up, and Bud ends up spending the night at Lefty Lewis's daughter's house. Lefty Lewis then drops Bud off in Grand Rapids, where he finally meets Herman Calloway in person.
End: Bud initially thinks that Herman is his father, and is upset to discover that Herman is an ornery old man. Fortunately, Herman's band members befriend Bud, and he stays with them for a few days. Bud then recognizes rocks with names and dates written on them, and it is revealed that Herman Calloway is Bud's grandfather. Bud ends up staying with his grandfather and is given his own saxophone as well as the nickname "Sleepy LaBone."
I'll list out some major events of the story in chronological order, as a kind of summary.
- Bud starts out at the orphanage and discovers that a foster family has been found for him.
- His foster family is terrible. Bud is constantly antagonized by Todd, and Bud fights back.
- Bud gets locked in the shed and escapes.
- Bud sneaks into the Amos household and gets Todd to wet the bed.
- Bud goes to the library.
- Bud and Bugs are reunited.
- Bud and Bugs head to Hooverville in hopes of jumping on a train heading west.
- Bud and Deza kiss.
- Bud figures out how far it is to Grand Rapids and starts walking there.
- He is picked up by Mr. Lewis.
- Bud arrives in Grand Rapids.
- Bud confronts Mr. Calloway, and says that Mr. Calloway is his father.
- Bud and Mr. Calloway discover that Bud is his grandson.
- Bud finally has a family of his own.