According to Guns, Germs and Steel, what are the major advantages of the Fertile Crescent that predispose this region to early agricultural development?
pohnpei397 | Certified Educator
You can answer this by reading in Chapter 8. Diamond lists the Fertile Crescent's advantages beginning on p. 136 in the paperback edition of the book. These advantages include:
- It has a Mediterranean climate that is a very good habitat for plants that are useful to people. In fact, it has the largest zone of such climate in the world.
- It had many plants that were easy to domesticate.
- Its climate varies more from year to year and season to season than that of any other Mediterranean zone.
- It has many different altitudes and topographies within a relatively short distance of one another.
- It also had more big animals that could be domesticated.
- The area did not have enough resources to be really good for hunter-gatherers. This meant societies that started to farm did not have to compete with hunter-gatherers.