What are the main ideas for Chapters 1-22 in To Kill a Mockingbird?
bullgatortail | Certified Educator
That's quite a question, and it certainly cannot be given in great detail here. However, here is a quick breakdown.
- CHAPTER 1: General background information and introduction of Dill.
- 2: Scout's first day at school.
- 3: Atticus teaches his lesson about "climb into his skin and walk around in it."
- 4: Boo's gifts arouse the kids' curiosity.
- 5: Same as Chapter 4.
- 6: Jem loses his pants in the Radley raid.
- 7: More gifts from Boo; the knothole is sealed.
- 8: Snowfall and Maudie's house burns.
- 9: Christmas at Finch Landing.
- 10: "One-Shot" Finch and the mad dog.
- 11: Mrs. Dubose's lesson.
- 12: Church with Calpurnia.
- 13: Aunt Alexandra arrives.
- 14: The runaway Dill appears.
- 15: The kids rescue Atticus from the lynch mob.
- 16-22: The trial of Tom Robinson.