What are the main features of the periodic table ?
giorgiana1976 | Student
- The elements that have like physical and chemical properties are found in vertical columns;
- The vertical columns are called groups;
- The vertical columns are numbered from 1 to 8;
- Each number is followed by a letter: A or B
- A groups contain main elements and B groups contain transition elements
- The name of the horizontal row is period;
- The period that contains only H and He has the number 1.
- The properties of the elements divide the the periodic table in areas that are marked with different colors;
- The elements of the periodic table belong to 3 groups: metals, nonmetals, metalloids;
- Metalloids are located to the boundary between metals and nonmetals;
- The elements located to the left end of the period, have a metallic character;
- The properties of the elements from B (boron) to Te (tellurium) make difficult their classification (metals or nonmetals).