1 Answer | Add Yours
- Doodle is born. Doodle's brother narrates the story about "the craziest brother a boy ever had." Not expected to live, it soon becomes evident--though Brother never specifically mentions it--that Doodle is mentally retarded and somewhat physically deformed. But Doodle survives, and Brother seems destined to pull him around in a wagon for the rest of their lives.
- Doodle learns to walk. After months of hard work, Brother eventually teaches Doodle to walk, and they present this surprise as a birthday present to the tearful family.
- Brother's shame. Embarrassed at Doodle's deformities and what his friends might think, Brother begins a strenuous regimen aimed at making him more normal. Doodle learns to swim, row a boat and climb trees, but Brother pushes his little brother even harder.
- The scarlet ibis appears. After a storm, a red bird appears on the property before falling to the ground dead. "Red dead birds" are unlucky, and it is declared a bad omen. Doodle develops an unusual attachment to it before deciding to bury it.
- Doodle dies. Doodle is not the same after the death of the bird, and Brother finally realizes that his goal of transforming him into a normal brother is impossible. Brother cruelly leaves Doodle alone to return home from Old Woman Swamp and, during a thunderstorm, Doodle dies. Brother finds the bloody body and recognizes the similarity between the dead bird, sheltering "my fallen scarlet ibis from the heresy of rain."
We’ve answered 318,920 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question