Health and Disease

Start Free Trial

What is shock, and why is it so dangerous? Name some symptoms of shock, and identify the types of shock based on (a) cause and (b) severity. Why is it important for healthcare professionals to be informed about shock?

Expert Answers

An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles

Shock is a severe medical condition that can be deadly if not recognized and treated promptly. When in shock, the body does not receive sufficient blood flow, so cells and organs do not get the nutrients or oxygen they need to function. If the condition continues, it can easily lead to organ damage or even death. Therefore, it is important to recognize shock immediately. Healthcare professionals must stay informed and be alert for any signs of shock in a patient. It can be a difficult condition to diagnose, as there are many potential symptoms.

Some common symptoms of shock include:

  • Changes in the skin (cool or clammy, pale, or with bluish tinge in extremities like lips and fingernails)
  • Rapid breathing or pulse
  • Nausea, vomiting, weakness or fatigue, dizziness or fainting
  • Changes in the patient's mental state, such as sudden anxiety

The various types of shock can have different origins. Each is named for the source of the condition. Cardiogenic shock is due to heart problems. Hypovolemic shock is the result of low blood volume. Anaphylactic shock is a familiar one, often discussed in the context of severe allergic reactions. Septic shock, also unfortunately a familiar name, is from infections. Neurogenic shock is caused by damage to the nervous system.

See eNotes Ad-Free

Start your 48-hour free trial to get access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.

Get 48 Hours Free Access
Approved by eNotes Editorial Team