2 Answers | Add Yours
Forms of information technology that can improve communication within an organization have to be simple, cost effective, and functional. They also must be able to meet the demands of different departments within the organization and must be able to be integrated with other forms of technology.
Some current forms of IT that facilitate communication include the following:
- Video conferencing: A report from Cisco (see the link below) states that mobile video traffic now accounts for more than half of all mobile data traffic. Cisco predicts that by 2018, more than two-thirds of mobile data traffic will be video. People can use video conferencing to easily meet with people across the globe in a quick and cost effective way.
- VOIP (or Voice over Internet Protocol): This form of technology involves voice calls that go over the internet, rather than over cellular networks. This form of communication (such as Skype) can be far less expensive than using cellular networks.
- Webcasting: This refers to showing media over the internet and broadcasting content to many viewers at the same time. Webcasting can be used by businesses to present e-learning courses or to make presentations of meetings or other events. It can be different than video conferencing, in which people use software to meet.
These forms of technology can help a different parts of a company, including departments that are in different parts of the country or the world, communicate quickly, cost effectively, and flexibly. In addition, these forms of technology are easy to use.
The speed of organizational communication often decides the speed of decisions and impacts the business significantly. The incorporation of information technology can aid the business communication and speed it up. The following are some of the forms of IT that can be used for this purpose:
- Email: emails are a ubiquitous form of communication these days. They allow effective and timely communication within an organization and have replaced letters, memos and other official communication.
- Video-conferencing: enables business meetings virtually and removes the need for travel to a common location to attend a meeting.
- Instant messaging: applications such as sms and WhatsApp allow the instant delivery of small messages (too small to be sent through emails).
- Document sharing: IT also enables shared working by using online tools. An example is google documents that can be accessed by any number of people (with appropriate access) and they all can work on these documents simultaneously, thus speeding up the work.
- Decentralized computing: this is a less expensive and more effective form of organizational communication in which employees use a centralized information database, and this information is updated/modified in real time. Some organizations may also have websites where employees can log-in and work.
Hope this helps.
We’ve answered 319,669 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question