What is the historical significance of 1892?
mwestwood | Certified Educator
1892 was a significant year for a number of historical moments:
It was the year that
- Ellis Island first opened to allow European immigrants into the United States. Ellis Island remained open until 1954
- James Naismith had his rules for basketball published and the sport began to be played a couple months later that same year.
- Rudolf Diesel applied for a patent for his invention of the "diesel engine," a compression ignition engine.
- Sir Frederick Stanley donated the Stanley Cup
- In Buenos Aires, Argentina, the first fingerprinting bureau was opened.
- General Electric Company came into existence after a merger of two companies and is incorporated.
- Thomas Edison was awarded a patent for his telegraph
- Women were first admitted to Yale's graduate program
- The first classes were held at University of Chicago
- The Pledge of Allegiance was first recited in public schools
- The Dalton gang, who intended to rob a bank in Kansas, were shot repeatedly by local citizens. All died but Emmett, who received 23 bullets and served 15 years in prison.
- The first publication of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was published in London.
- The Nutcracker ballet is first performed and becomes a Christmas favorite
- Andrew Carnegie gained a monopoly with other companies and became Carnegie Steel
- Viruses were discovered by Dimitri Ivanovski, Ukrainian biologist.
- Trans-Siberian Railway is built
- Grover Cleveland was elected president
- The Sierra Club was founded
shmindle | Student
Here are some of the major events that happened in the year of 1892 that might give you some historical context:
- Jan 1- Ellis Island opens to new immigrants
- June 7- Homer Plessy arrested for sitting in whites-only car, this leads to Plessy vs Ferguson case
- September 5- Sergei Witte becomes Russian finance minister
- Oct 18- first long distance phone line opens, Chicago to New York
- Oct 31, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle publishes The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- Nov 8- Grover Cleveland becomes 24th US president