1 Answer | Add Yours
You'd have a better chance at getting the answer you want if you could be more specific -- what happened to who or to what? As it is, there are so many different ways you could answer this.
- As more land in the West came under cultivation, farming in the East became less profitable and tended to decline.
- More people moved to the West in search of cheap land and a new life.
- The Native Americans were pushed off their ancestral lands and on to reservations.
- Big businesses came to own more of the farm land and small farms started to decline.
- The railroads became more important because farmers needed them to get their crops back to Eastern markets.
All of these are impacts of the opening of more land to cultivation.
We’ve answered 319,833 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question