The Greeks are important in our history because they were the origin of many important aspects of our culture. The Greeks impacted us in a number of ways. Then include:
- Theater. The Greeks were the earliest dramatists that we know of. Their ideas of comedy and tragedy continue to affect the way that we understand the theater.
- Philosophy. Greek philosophers such as Socrates and Aristotle have affected our entire way of looking at the world. They are still regarded as some of the most important thinkers in history.
- History. It was Greeks who first started to write what we would call works of history.
- Impact on Rome. Greek civilization did much to shape Roman civilization. Roman civilization led directly to European civilization.
- Democracy. Perhaps the most important idea the Greeks (or at least the Athenians) had was the idea of democracy. Their example inspired, among others, those who advocated for democracy in the American colonies. This helped lead to the importance of democracy around the world today.