I don't know what the length or the purpose of the passage should be so I have chosen one that gives a lot of information. It starts on page 17 in my book and ends on page 20. This is at the end of chapter two. You may want to shorten it for your purposes. The reason I chose this passage is because
1. It explains Maria's position with the family.
"....he had always liked Maria and felt as if she was one of the family, even though Father said she was just a maid and overpaid at that." (pg 17)
2. It explains how Bruno feels about is father's job.
"That's all we ever hear about, if you ask me, Father'sjob this and Father's job that..... I think Father should think twice about his job, don't you?" (pg 17)
3. It introduces the soldier, Lieutenant Kotler, a young blond soldier who is very serious and representative of Hitler youth.
"....he had very blond hair, an almost unnatural shade of yellow.... he stoped for a moment when he saw Bruno standing there watching him. He looked the boy up and down as if he had never seen a child before and wasn't quite sure what he was suppose to do with one: eat it , ignore it, or kick it down the stairs." (pg 18)
4. It explains that Bruno wanted his father to have a decent, respectable job.
'Fathers are suppose to be serious, It doesn't matter whether they're greengrocers or teachers or chefs, or commandants,' he said listing all the jobs he knew decent respectable fathers did and whose titles he had thought about a thousand times." (pg 19)
5. It explains what he thought of his sister.
"I dont even think there's going to be anyone to play with other than Gretel , and what fun is that after all? She's a Hopeless Case." (pg 19)
6. It shows how young he is.
"He felt as if he was about to cry again but stopped himself , not wanting to look like a baby in front of Maria." (pg 19)
7. It foreshadows something cold and unsafe.
"He put his face to the glass and saw what was out there, and this tme when his eyes opened wide, and his mouth made the shape of an O, his hands stayed by his sides because something made him feel very cold and unsafe." (pg 20)