3 Answers | Add Yours
The universal definition is as follows:
A systematic, orderly arrangment.
The definition that applies to literature and grammar is as follows:
The rules and/or patterns used to form sentences in a language.
For example, English uses the pattern of subject, verb, direct object in the creation of sentences. Change the order of the sentence and you change the meaning: "Dog bites man" means a very different thing than "man bites dog". However, in other languages, there are different rules governing sentence order. In some languages, reversing the order would not reverse the meaning - it depends on the syntax of that language.
- The study of the rules whereby words or other elements of sentence structure are combined to form grammatical sentences.
- A publication, such as a book, that presents such rules.
- The pattern of formation of sentences or phrases in a language.
- Such a pattern in a particular sentence or discourse.
- Computer Science The rules governing the formation of statements in a programming language.
- A systematic, orderly arrangement.
The way of teaching one ,how the words should be used to form meaningful sentence .
We’ve answered 319,199 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question