What are the functions of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)?
4 Answers | Add Yours
Founded in 1945, the FAO has five strategic objectives:
- Help eliminate hunger and malnutrition (including food security concerns)
- Make agriculture (and forestry and fisheries) more sustainable (and productive)
- Reduce rural poverty
- Enable inclusive food systems
- Increase resilience of food related livelihoods (e.g., farmers) to threats and crises.
These are discussed individually on their 'about' website - follow the link below.
Last year, 2014, FAO members joined with members of government and the private sector to endorse the Rome Declaration on Nutrition and the Framework of Action. This Declaration states that everyone has the right to access safe, sufficient, and nutritious food. The Framework of Action specifies that governments have the greatest role in achieving this.
The actions of the FAO also fall into five distinct categories:
- Presenting information for the transition to sustainable agriculture.
This includes specialists, nutritionists, economists, statisticians and other researchers.
- Strengthening Policy
Both strengthening existing policy, but also advocating global policy development.
- Increasing public-private collaboration
Where rich and poor nations can talk to the Food Industry to facilitate greater investments.
- Field Projects
Currently there are thousands of field projects under way.
- Mitigating risk
develop monitoring strategies for threats to agriculture, food and nutrition.
The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations is an important group. The purpose of this organization is to ensure there is enough food for all. There are several main goals of this organization. One goal is to eliminate hunger and malnutrition. Another goal is to eliminate poverty while advocating for social and economic progress. The third goal is to manage and sustain our natural resources for present and future use.
The Food and Agricultural Organization is an international organization. There are 194 member nations, and its headquarters are in Rome. The staff comes from various countries and has expertise in many fields. There are six departments in this organization, including Agricultural and Consumer Protection and Economic and Social Development. There are five regional and nine sub-regional offices. This organization develops and shares information about food, farming, and resources. By working with various groups, this organization develops various international initiatives to help the organization meet its goals.
There are several areas of activities. One is to provide knowledge in order to achieve sustainable agriculture. It also tries to strengthen the political will to do the things needed to devise policies regarding agriculture. The organization works to boost public-private partnerships to improve agriculture in general, especially smaller agriculture. It also brings knowledge to the field and keeps countries aware of problems regarding agriculture.
The Food and Agricultural Organization or FAO is part of the United Nations. It's mission is to defeat world hunger. It is a forum for nations to discuss policy in a neutral environment. It provides information regarding agriculture, fisheries and forests in terms of improving and maintaining sustainability in each of these important parts of the ecosystem.
One of the organizations contributing to the cause and aiding in the achievement of the objectives outlined by the United Nations is the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Below are two of the major functions of the FAO:
1. Promote feasible farming techniques. This means that the FAO provides farmers in countries where the United Nations operates with information to reduce environmental degradation while farming, improve agricultural farming methods, and increase crop production and yields for the long-term sustainability of food production and increased food security levels in these countries.
2. Reduce malnutrition in a community. Moreover, the FAO may encourage farming in the areas where it is less practiced in the hope of reducing the dependency of persons living in these areas on food supplies donated by the United Nations. This is intended to foster self-reliance among community member so they provide for themselves and their families more nutritious food so as to lessen the incidents of malnutrition in their community.
We’ve answered 318,982 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question