What food makes up nearly all (around 99%) of a Giant Panda’s diet?

1 Answer | Add Yours

gsenviro's profile pic

gsenviro | College Teacher | (Level 1) Educator Emeritus

Posted on

Giant pandas are almost entirely dependent upon bamboo and 99% of their diet consists of the leaves, stems and shoots of the bamboo plant. The remaining 1% of their diet consists of grass, other plants and sometimes meat (rodents, musk deer fawns). Since the bamboo has a very low energy content, a giant panda has to eat a lot of it. Adult pandas eat anywhere between 12 kg to 38 kg of bamboo every day. The exclusivity of the diet means that the panda has to live in a region with a very high density of bamboo plants and that any small change in bamboo content will greatly affect the livelihood of these animals. Their low energy diet also means that pandas have to conserve their energy and get rid of a large amount of food from their body (by defecating multiple times a day).

Hope this helps.  

We’ve answered 318,916 questions. We can answer yours, too.

Ask a question