First, please note that there are many translations for the five virtues so these may be a little different from what your book says. The five virtues are:
- Propriety or courtesy. This is sort of like the golden rule in Western thinking. This means that it is important to treat others in proper ways.
- Righteousness or justice. This is the virtue of knowing how to act at all times. In other words, we should always act in ways that are appropriate to the situation.
- Propriety. This involves respecting the old ways that have been passed down. It involves taking part in the correct rituals, for example.
- Wisdom. This is the knowledge of what is right and wrong, good and bad.
- Faithfullness or loyalty. This can also be called trustworthiness. It is the virtue of being true to your word and always doing what you say you will.