What are five main events in "The Most Dangerous Game?"
"The Most Dangerous Game," also known as "The Hounds of Zaroff," is a short story written by Richard Connell with details the tale of Sanger Rainsford, a big-game hunter who falls off a yacht while on the way to hunt jaguars in Rio de Janeiro. He then engages in a cat-and-mouse chase with the bloodthirsty General Zaroff as a result.
The five main events of the story are as follows:
1. While attempting to get a better view of Ship-Trap Island, Rainsford falls off the yacht's rail and into the open water.
2. Rainsford swims to the shore of Ship-Trap Island, where he meets General Zaroff, learns of the man's history, and discovers that he himself is the next target of the hunt.
3. Zaroff hunts Rainsford over the span of a few days.
4. In order to avoid being trapped and killed by Zaroff and his hounds, Rainsford leaps off a cliff and into the sea.
5. Rainsford makes his reappearance, revealing that he had swum around the island. He fights Zaroff and kills him.
I agree with most of the other answer posted, with one obvious difference.
1. Rainsford falls off the yacht and swims to shore.
2. Rainsford meets Zaroff and finds out that he will be tomorrow's headline event (he'll be hunted!)
3. Rainsford is hunted over the span of a day or two.
4. Rainsford chooses to leap off the cliff (I consider this the climax, but there is much disagreement on this issue.)
5. Rainsford confronts and kills Zaroff.
I disagree that those are the 5 major events because your major events must establish your conflict as well as provide support to its development. Also, a major event must include the climax of the story and represent how the character changed as a result.
That said the 5 major events would be as follows:
Rainsford and Whitney have a discussion about hunting. The perspective of the hunter and the hunted. This is our first conflict man vs. self. Right or wrong to hunt for sport.
Rainsford falls overboard in the darkness of night. Man vs Nature.
Rainsford discovers the "palital chateau" of General Zaroff and is welcomed as a celebrated hunter.
Rainsford discovers the "new game" that General Zaroff has invented and chooses not to participate in the hunt.
Rainsford becomes the hunted rather than the hunter and understands the true meaning of fear.
1) Rainford swim to shiptrap island after falling off the yaacht.
2) Rainford hunted by zaroff.
3) Rainford jump over the cliff to escape from zaroff.
4) Rainford is humted over the the spam of a day or two.
5) Rainfrod was hides in zaroff's room.