What are a few historical events of the 1960s that influenced fashion?This is for my Fashion Marketing class.
Here are a few of the events that you might say influenced fashion:
- the Beatles came to the US--before the Beatles, most American boys had crew cuts; after the Beatles, many boys let their hair grow.
- the election of JFK--first lady Jacqueline Kennedy influenced women's fashion for many years.
- atomic testing on the Bikini Atoll--the swimsuit was named for this tiny island
- the women's rights movement--women started going without a bra.
- the civil rights movement--many African Americans began wearing dashikis (visit the link below) as a symbol of pride and heritage.
- Woodstock--ok, so maybe the fashion influenced the festival, but you've got to say that Woodstock and the hippie movement go together.
The whole decade was a time of change in every aspect of life. Visit the links below for more information.
Another historical event was the burning of the bras by Gloria Steinheim and other feminists. Their doing so affected looser shirts for women and more tailored clothing in general.
A British textile shortage was the underlying reason for the commercializing the miniskirt!