1 Answer | Add Yours
"The Cask of Amontillado" begins in a flashback:
1. To wreak revenge against Fortunato, he invites F, a connoisseur, to taste wine from his new cask of Amontillado.
2. M takes F to his home, leading him into his vaults. When F coughs, M feigns concern to deceive him.
3. After a draft of Medoc to fortify themselves against the damp, they pass through piled bones into the inmost part of the catacombs where they drink another draft of Medoc; F makes a strange gesture. He asks M if he is not a Mason (a secret organization); M replies ironically that he is a mason (bricklayer).
4. They continue through low arches as the air becomes fouler. and the area becomes more ominous; F cannot see into the depth of the recess, but M distracts him from danger by again playing upon his ego and feigning more concern.
5. As F is stopped by a wall, M quickly fetters him with chain connected to iron rings; he padlocks the chain and begins to wall the drunken F in.
6. After a succession of screams, M hesitates, then gropes with his sword in the recess and checks the wall as he matches F's screams.
7. M finishes the wall; finally, a "sad voice" utters a laugh, suggesting that a jest was made and now "let us be gone." M responds ironically, "Yes...let us be gone. F pleads, M mocks him again.
8. No reply to this. M calls to F, but hears only a jingling of bells as he forces the last stone into position.
We’ve answered 319,200 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question