What does a teacher mean when he/she asks to write out the study questions in essay form?Like an actual essay? or number the question then answer it in paragraph form? Please explain.
In a book entitled "The Practical Writer," there is a short essay called the "Stage II paragraph essay." This paragraph/essay of fifty to one hundred words is an excellent format to use for answering essay questions. Here is the structure of this Stage II Paragraph Essay:
1. Write a topic sentence that is a general statement which clearly answers the question. This topic sentence contains two ideas that relate well to each other. (as Part A and Part B under I. of an outline do)
2. Immediately after writing the topic sentence, write a subtopic that contains the first idea.
3. Provide at least three supporting details. These will involve passages/lines from the work that are very specific.
4. Write the second subtopic sentence.
5. Support this subtopic with very specific support from the work under question.
6. Finish the paragraph with a reworded topic sentence.
When you use this format, you will have an organized answer that contains sufficient proof.
7. Add a clincher which may be a quote from the work that adds umph to you supporting details.
See the site below for other hints.
What the teacher means by this is that you need to answer the study questions in the form of an essay. This means that you must not answer the question by using an outline or bullet points or any other form. The essay, in many ways, is a preferred method of study for three reasons. First by constructing an essay, one is forced to think about the issue in a critical way. By this fact alone, a person will learn the material well. Second, essays necessarily communicate something. Therefore, a person is forced to make a point and come down on an issue. And if a person does not come down on an issue, then that person would have to explain this, which is also a good thing to do. Third, essays force some sort of organization, which helps a person organize thoughts. If a person does all of this, then it will be an excellent review.