What do you think are the five most important quotes/events to memorize for a test on this book?I have a card that I can write 5 quotes or events that would be helpful for the test.
Good question... I would think you wouldn't want to put anything too obvious. You wouldn't want to put the stuff you'll remember easily like the commandments changing or Napleon looking like a person by the end of the book. I assume you'll remember those.
Here are a couple that might be important but that you might not think of:
- The pigs getting the milk. This shows that they are taking control and becoming "more equal" than the other animals.
- Squealer saying that the only choice is between Napoleon's way and having Farmer Jones come back. This is classic propaganda. He is setting up this false choice in which he says that the only alternative to Napoleon's way is a return of the humans.
- The thing with the woodpile. That shows us that Napoleon is completely cynical. He's willing to tell lies and to try anything to cover up when he has made a mistake or when he has gone back on something he had said before.
- Mollie leaving because she likes ribbons. This shows that some people care only about material stuff and are willing to ignore their oppression if only they can have some nice stuff.
- Moses the raven. Marx says that religion is the opiate of the masses. Moses symbolizes that. It also really shows how cynical Napoleon is when Moses is allowed to return.
The character of Snowball is probably the most important character to track through the novel - even after he leaves the farm.
Snowball represents, first, the spirit and the plans of the revolution. Later his name comes to represent the conniving of the regime as they alter history, alter the seven commandments, and strip Snowball of any glory or respect, making him instead a target of suspicion and derision.
I would include quotes from Old Major's dream speech, the Beasts of England song, the commandments and squealer's explanation of changes, and Boxer ("Napoleon is always right"). These are some of the most important. If you can type your card, do so. You'll fit more on it! You might want to include a short description of each pig in case you might get them mixed up.