Science Questions and Answers

Start Your Free Trial

what is difference between plasma and red blood cells?

Expert Answers info

trophyhunter1 eNotes educator | Certified Educator

calendarEducator since 2010

write1,786 answers

starTop subjects are Science, Social Sciences, and Literature

Erythrocytes, or red blood cells are donut shaped blood cells which lack a nucleus when matureĀ and are constantly being replaced by the bone marrow and spleen. They contain hemoglobin, a red pigment that is able to transport oxygen as oxyhemoglobin to all parts of the body. Red blood cells make up about 45% of the blood. Plasma, is the liquid component of the blood. It is straw colored and contains mainly water. It makes up 55% of the blood. It is approximately 2.8-3.2 quarts. Besides the 92% water, the rest of its composition is 8% blood plasma proteins and other trace materials. Dissolved nutrients are found in plasma as are wastes such as carbon dioxide, urea and lactic acid.

check Approved by eNotes Editorial