What are the claims that I will be entitled if my employer will terminate me from my work? What claims might I be entitled to if my employer terminates me from my job? I have been working for five years for the company as a security guard.

Expert Answers

An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles


The answer to this question depends on what state you live in.  Generally, if you are terminated through no fault of your own, you are probably eligible for unemployment compensation.  If you lose your job because of some willful misconduct, you will not have a claim.  The amount of money you get will depend on how much you have earned in earlier time periods, and whether you are a part-time or full-time employee.  Many states offer six months of benefits, and new federal funding might offer approximately 13 more weeks of benefits.  Since unemployment compensation is governed by the state, you should log on to your state's home website and look for a link to a department of labor or an unemployment compensation agency to learn the particulars about your state.

Approved by eNotes Editorial Team

We’ll help your grades soar

Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.

  • 30,000+ book summaries
  • 20% study tools discount
  • Ad-free content
  • PDF downloads
  • 300,000+ answers
  • 5-star customer support
Start your 48-Hour Free Trial