Law and Politics

Start Free Trial

What can you do when someone hijacks your trademark? 

Expert Answers

An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles

First of all, hopefully you've already filed for a trademark with the US Patent and Trademark office. (You may also have a common law trademark or a state trademark).

If your trademark has already been approved you can begin by sending a cease and desist letter to the person infringing.

If that doesn't work you can also hire a lawyer to file a claim with the US Patent and Trademark office. Often you will need to act within the first thirty days. You will have to prove:

  • that you have a prior claim on the mark

and that

  • the infringement might cause customers to confuse the other person's product with yours.
Approved by eNotes Editorial Team