Here are the 6 topics that I include on my essay test:
1. Investigate the character of Nelly (Or Ellen Dean). Why does Bronte choose Nelly for the main narrator? She is painfully silent at times, but at other times she appears the only sane and redeemable character in the entire novel. Affirm a position on her character and support it.
2. Analyze Heathcliff and Catherine's love. Is it evenly-matched or is it one-sided? Why does Catherine marry Edgar Linton if she does not love him?
3. Is Heathcliff at all heroic (a Byronic Hero perhaps), or is he villainous? Pick a position and support it, identifying Heathcliff's redeemable/heroic qualities and explaining his villainous qualities, or vice-versa.
4. According the novel, what is more powerful: hate/vengeance, or love? Are they one and the same? Opposites? What is their relationship?
5. What elements of Realism, Romanticism, and Naturalism are found in the novel?
6. The novel is full of dualities: it is two novels in...
(The entire section contains 518 words.)