Computers offer users many advantages, including increased flexibility, speed, and access to a wealth of information. While there are some disadvantages to computers, mostly the positives far out weight the negatives. First, just think about the potential flexibility a computer gives us. Not only can people work on a computer, communicate on a computer, and shop on a computer, they can also access what they need any at any time. This is a life saver to people with kids who need to reserve parts of their day to spend with their children. In theory, people no longer are restricted to a 9 to 5 working day.
Second, computers make it much easier to store and access files. In the past, an institution such as a hospital would have whole rooms to hold what would probably be a very complicated filing system. They may even hire specific people to retrieve the files for them. Now people can access files and information at the click of a button, saving time, money, and energy.
One of the overwhelming advantages of the computer lies in its very necessity. Computer technology and use is of critical importance. Its ability for communication and storing data would represent another advantage. If connected to the internet, its ability to obtain resources would be another attribute. Along with data collection, the computer features different methods and manners to present this data, which makes it advantageous to the user. The disadvantages are going to be difficult to articulate because computers have become such a mainstay in our existence. I think that one disadvantage would be our dependence on them. Computers are now needed for so much, we have a natural dependence on them. This proves to be disastrous when individuals have their computers lost or stolen, or when identity theft, a concoction of computers, happens to individuals.
A computer is an electronic device that can be used to store, retrieve, and process information. It consists of hardware and software. Hardware is the physical part of the computer, such as the mouse, monitor, or keyboard. Software is the set of instructions that enables the computer to carry out various tasks, for example, the operating system or word-processing software such as Microsoft Word.
Here are some advantages of computers:
- Reduces paper use, as documents can be typed and stored in the computer.
- Reduces storage costs, as files can be stored in the computer or even in the cloud when the computer is connected to the internet. We no longer have to maintain physical storerooms to hold volumes of paper documents.
- Through the use of computer software, we are able to quickly complete tasks that would have taken a long time to do. For instance, Microsoft Excel enables us to sort, clean, and analyze large quantities of data once this data is entered into the system.
- A computer can perform repetitive tasks without getting tired or bored. It is also highly accurate.
- Through software use, computers can store and manipulate a large variety of data, for example, text, photographs, pictures, audio, and so on.
- When connected to the internet, we can use computers to communicate with people from all over the world through applications such as Skype, Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, and so on.