The Village by the Sea is a novel written by Anita Desai. It was first published in 1982 and it deals with the life of a family who lives in a small village in India. There are a number of questions that could be asked with regard to Chapter 1 and Chapter 2.
For Chapter 1, I would suggest the following questions:
- What is the name of the village that Hari and Lila’s family lives in? Where is it located?
- Which two major problems do the children have to face with regard to their parents?
- Why do Hari and Lila not attend school? What do they do instead?
- What do the villagers anticipate to be built soon? How will this impact on life in the village?
- Where does Hari want to go?
For Chapter 2, I would suggest the following questions:
- Why is Biju’s boat important for the story?
- Who are the de Silva family?
- How can we tell that the de Silva family has a lot of money?
- What did Mr. de Silva want to offer Hari’s father? Why does it not happen?
- Why is Hari upset by Mr. de Silva’s reaction?
- What are the two options that Hari is torn between?
- Why did Hari struggle to make his mind up?