What are 3 examples of helpful bacteria and 3 examples of harmful bacteria?
Some examples of helpful bacteria include E. Coli (when used for the digestion process), Streptomyces, and Rhizobium. Some examples of harmful bacteria include E. Coli (when contaminating food), Listeriosis, and Salmonella.
- E. Coli are found in the intestines of humans and aid in digestion.
- Streptomyces is used in making antibiotics.
- Rhizobium are helpful bacteria found in the soil. They convert nitrogen in the soil.
- E. Coli can also be harmful if food or water is contaminated with it and then eaten.
- Listeriosis can cause individuals to become very ill and can even be potentially deadly. Examples of where it can be found are in shellfish, cold cuts, and unpasteurized milk.
- Salmonella is very dangerous and lives in the intestinal tracts of humans . It is spread via feces. Foods like poultry and eggs can be contaminated with salmonella and cause severe diarrhea.
The human body contains numerous types of bacteria that are very beneficial and actually protect us from the harmful bacteria.
check Approved by eNotes Editorial