What is an example of one of the checks and balances between two branches of our government.
There are many of these:
- The executive branch has a check on the legislative because the president can veto laws.
- The judicial has a check on the legislative because it can declare laws passed by Congress to be unconstitutional.
- It can do the same for actions of the President
- The legislature has a check on the judiciary because it can change the jurisdiction of the courts
- The executive has a check on the judicial because the president gets to appoint judges
Please don't confuse checks and balances with separation of powers. SOP is when each branch has a different job. Checks and balances give each branch a little power over the other's job.
I think that the previous post was accurate in saying that you could find many examples of one branch of government limiting the power of another. The President vetoing a bill from Congress is an example of a check from the Executive on the Legislative. The Congress overriding said veto would be the opposite, where the Legislative checks the Executive. The declaration of war would be a Congressional check on the Executive. The impeachment of officials would be a Legislative branch check on both the Judicial and Executive. For its part, the judicial power of declaring Constitutionality checks both of the other two branches.
ooh! its when like a congress wants to pass a law, but the judicial branch gets to decide if its constitutional. the judicial branch is checking the congress. and when the judicial branch wants to do sth and the congress checks it. checks and balance out each other