According to Diamond, there are a number of qualities that an animal species must have if it is to be domesticated. These include:
- Diet. It cannot be a carnivore because it takes too much to feed them.
- Growth rate. It has to grow quickly so you don't have to spend too much feeding it before you kill and eat it.
- Breeding. It has to be willing to breed in captivity.
- Disposition. Mean and aggressive animals can't be domesticated.
- Tendency to panic. If an animal is likely to panic and become uncontrollable, it will be too dangerous to domesticate it.
- Social structure. It is very helpful if the animal is a herd animal or one that is used to living in a hierarchical society. That way, it will be more likely to obey humans.